Saturday, January 14, 2012

Lemon and Black Berry Bunt Cake

Yesterday was the Hubby's birthday! I love making his birthday cake, last year was a White Chocolate cake (which he loved) and this year I made him a Lemon cake. We both love anything lemon and I found this recipe in one of my desert cookbooks. I have a bad habit of making a new recipe for a semi-important moment, but so far I have had no let downs. The Hubby loved it (just thought it used to much cream cheese).

This recipe was a cupcake recipe and had a meringue topping...I also have a bad habit of tweaking recipes a lot too. I made the cake according to the recipe and the filling too, I just changed the method of cooking and the topping.


Here's the recipe:
Cake
1 box of yellow cake mix
1 1/4 cups of lemonade
1/4 cup lemon curd (I couldn't find lemon curd and used lemon pie filling)
1/4 cup canola or veggie oil
1/4 cup lemon zest ( about 2 lemons)
3 eggs

Mix all together and pour into a greased bunt pan or 2 9 inch round cake pans.
Bake at 350 degrees for about 38 minutes or until a tooth pick comes out clean. * Note that this cake will not be a fluffy cake so don't be scared if it does not rise to the top of the pan.

Filling
3/4 cup cream cheese
3/4 cup lemon curd (or lemon filling)

Beat cream cheese until smooth. Add lemon filling and beat until mixed well.

After the cake cooled, I sliced the bunt cake in half. I then scooped out a little bit of the cake on the bottom layer for the filling to sit in. I layered the filling and placed the top layer back on. I reserved about 3/4 cup of the filling to put on top of the cake and then topped with the black berries.




Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment