Thursday, January 5, 2012

Birthday Lollipop Basket

My hubby's 30th Birthday is next week ( that also means I will be 30 this year too, but we are not going to talk about that!). And even though we have agreed to save our money and go on a trip with our best friends ( also turning 30, we are Vegas bound!), I still have to do something. Maybe cook his favorite enchiladas or something, but I thought I would surprise him at work with this.


I have been seeing this all over Pinterest (I am addicted to that website!). I thought they are so different and would be great for a guys since most, if not all don't like getting flowers.

I started with mostly products I had on hand. I saved all the Tootsie Roll Pops from our Halloween candy (I am sure they are still good...) because I knew I wanted to do this project. The only thing I had to go purchase was the foam block, which was a buck at the Dollar Store.

Here is what you will need:
A foam block- any size will do
Candy or Lollipops (really anything on a stick)
Fabric or scrapbook paper to cover
Glue



I had fabric on hand and cut it to fit around the four sides of the foam block. I then hot glues the fabric on to the block. Please do not do the rookie mistake I made and make sure that your glue gun is on low heat... I think I heard the foam block bubble at one point.




After the block is covered in either paper or fabric, I made my sign out of card stock that I had on hand.


As you can see, I still have not shelled out the money for a Circuit or other vinyl machine. I want on really bad but can not convince my hubby that its worth the money...one day! So I hand wrote the message on the card stock and glued it to the fabric.


I did not have enough Tootsie rolls to completely cover the foam that would show so I glues down some crinkled paper. You can find this at any craft store (I pick it up at the Dollar Stores for gift baskets and such).


Then stick your lollipops or candy into the foam. Just be sure not to push too hard, I think I may have bent some. One tip for future projects, I grabbed the harder foam block and not the floral (softer foam) block. I think that the floral foam would hold the lollipop sticks better.



What other holidays or celebrations could you use this project for, the possibilities are endless.
Valentines Day with heart lollipops would be a great one to try, let me know!


Somewhat Simple

No comments:

Post a Comment