Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Chili Rellenos Casserole

As I have mentioned, I am on a healthy movement right now. I don't mean raw food only served with water or anything like that, just trying to make our everyday meals a little lighter and me more healthier. I came across a lighter take of Chili Rellenos. The traditional version is chilies stuffed with cheese and fried (yummy but not really figure friendly). This recipe is more of a quiche and so good! Even the hubby loved it.



Here is the recipe:
  • 6 large eggs
  • 1 cup(s) (2%) reduced-fat milk
  • 2 tablespoon(s) all-purpose flour
  • 1/4 teaspoon(s) sweet paprika
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 can(s) (5.75 ounces each) whole green chile's, drained and thinly sliced
  • 1 medium (8 to 10 ounces) red pepper, cut into 1/4-inch pieces ( I only had green on hand)
  • 4 ounce(s) extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded
  • 1/2 cup(s) packed fresh cilantro leaves, finely chopped
Directions
  1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease shallow 2-quart ceramic or glass baking dish.
    2.   In large bowl, with wire whisk, mix eggs, milk, flour, paprika, 1/4 teaspoon salt, and 1/2 teaspoon     freshly ground black pepper until well blended. Stir in chile's, pepper, Cheddar, and half of cilantro; pour into prepared dish.
    I only used 1 can of green chilirs and then substituted my own homemade roasted green chilies that had more heat. Also, I only had green peppers on hand.
   3. Bake casserole 35 to 40 minutes or until puffed and golden brown and center still jiggles slightly.
    I added some home fries to go with the meal. It was a great and surprising filling dinner. And did I mention is was only around 305 calories per serving and 20 gm of protein! *This is a dish for 4 servings.
    I plan on trying another version, maybe with spinach, mushrooms and Swiss cheese. What do you think? Any variations you can think up, let me know!
 


    Somewhat Simple

    No comments:

    Post a Comment